Pinworms cause intense rectal itching and are bothersome to anyone infected. The worm crawls out of the anus at night to lay its eggs. Transmission occurs easily among children who often put their fingers in their mouths. The eggs become lodged under the finger nails during scratching and then are re-ingested during eating and the cycle of infestation continues. Knowing the causes can help prevent future infection. Fortunately, home remedies abound for your child to get rid of the sinister parasites.
1. Eating unsanitary foods. The eggs are eaten during meals or ingestion of contaminated food. The eggs travel in the intestinal tract and hatch.
2. Unclean sheets or clothing. Sleeping in an unclean bed or wearing unwashed clothing contaminated with eggs is another way to contract a pinworm infection. Use caution when handling contaminated sheets and clothing as the eggs easily become airborne and can be inhaled or swallowed.
1. Itchiness. The worm travels out of the intestine and lays eggs around the rectum at night. Itching is the result and sleep often disrupted to some degree. Itching can also occur in and around the vagina.
2. Urinary tract infection. These worms can penetrate the vagina or urethra and result in a urinary tract infection. This is more common in females.
3. More serious complications. Poor sleep and insomnia are the most serious complications. Obviously an infection must be treated, particularly bladder, or more serious problems may occur.
4. Other symptoms. Bleeding is rarely an issue as the worms to not invade the wall of the intestine. Some minor bleeding from intense scratching may occur but this is rare.
There are a variety of effective home remedies for pinworms and this list contains the most popular option.
Eat fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid high sugar and carbohydrate foods. Pinworms thrive on these types of substances and can rapidly multiply given the right nutrients. High fiber foods, such as bran, whole wheat and raisins, help add bulk to the stool and flush them from your system. Probiotics are also an important and easy way to keep your intestinal tract healthy. By helping good bacteria grow, the intestine becomes unfriendly for pinworms and is a natural way to get rid of pinworms.
This is the key to preventing and getting rid of pinworms. Start with proper hand washing technique using soap and warm water. Be sure to clean under the nails. Wash before every meal, after each use of the bathroom and immediately upon wakening. When handling infected clothes or sheets, wear gloves and even a mask to prevent inhalation of the eggs. Wash in hot water.
This potent natural food is excellent for getting rid of pinworms. The powdered form does not work, so try adding garlic to a variety of foods so that infected children will gain benefit from this food remedy. Make a paste by grinding a few cloves of fresh garlic until smooth and then mix with Vaseline and apply to the buttocks and rectal area to ease itching and kill any worms present.
Mix 10 drops in a large glass of water and drink three times a day for a week. This product is commercially available and has other health benefits as well. It is available in both pill and liquid form.
Santonin, isothujone and thujone are active ingredients. The benefit is that these antiparasitic substances kill any other worms present in the intestinal tract. Wormwood works by damaging the parasite's cell membrane. Mix a few drops in a cup of water or brew tea and add drops to that. Taking it on an empty stomach is the best route and works well for kids infected with pinworms.
This is a popular remedy in India. Take a spoonful of coconut in the morning and then follow it with castor oil two to three hours later to flush the pinworms from the body.
Shredded raw carrots eaten several times a day are a natural way to purge the worms from the intestines. For picky eaters, try mixing the carrots with honey to improve the taste.
This natural remedy is rich in the same active ingredient as aspirin. The salicylic acid content is a potent agent in fighting a pinworm infection.
Raw pumpkin seeds are a delicious and natural way to battle pinworms. Simmer crushed raw pumpkin seeds in water for about two hours. Strain the mixture through a filter or cheesecloth. Let it cool and take a tablespoon every fifteen minutes for a total of four doses. Then two hours later take a laxative. Then eat a bowl of warm oatmeal two hours after than to flush the worms from the system. The dose for adults is 300 grams and children can use about 45 grams of pumpkin seeds.
Crush a clove and mix with flaxseeds. The proper ratio is 1:10 and the added health benefits and worm fighting power are beneficial. Add this mixture to food once a day and alternate three days of use followed by three days off.
Boil 50 grams of crushed and smashed squash seeds for 15 minutes and then filter the water after it cools. Drink a small glass between meals throughout the day.
The naturally occurring sulfur in onions helps rid the body of pinworms. Slice a medium onion and soak in a pitcher of water over night. Then drink the liquid three times a day to rid the pinworms from your intestine.
The bitter gourd juice is an effective way to flush both pinworms and their eggs from the body.
This is a wonderful substance with a wide range of health benefits. Mix a teaspoon or two in a glass of water and drink this daily. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar creates an inhospitable environment for the worms and helps your body get rid of them naturally.