If you have run out of milk when making pancakes, you may wish to know some substitutes. It could also be that someone is allergic to cow milk and hence need to use dairy milk substitutes. So, here are some substitutes for milk that will still allow you to make some great tasting pancakes. With knowledge and creativity, you can make extremely tasty, if not better, pancakes even without this key ingredient.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup, sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. cooking spray or vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 beaten egg
- Add all the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder, sugar and salt to a mixing bowl.
- Then add in the liquids as egg, melted butter and the substitute for milk, which is the beer in this case. Beat well until frothy and bubbly.
- Heat a pan, a skillet or griddle and spray with baking lubricants or add a bit of margarine or vegetable oil.
- Pour sufficient amount of the mixture and swirl around to cover the full area in round shape.
- Cook closed for 1 minute and flip it upside down and cook other side too until both sides are golden-brown.
This pancake recipe without milk is loved by many!
Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup powdered coffee creamer
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil/cooking spray
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 dashes Cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, powdered coffee creamer, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl and beat.
- Add lukewarm water and stir till no lumps are present.
- Follow up with white vinegar and vanilla essence and beat a minute.
- Heat the skillet or pan on fire and reduce heat.
- Spray with cooking spray or add cooking oil or butter for slight lubrication.
- Pour sufficient batter to make a pancake of 5 inches diameter.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and when the pancake is cooked through, flip it and cook the other side till golden-brown.
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- 2½ tbsp. margarine, melted
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- Vegetable oil/cooking spray for lubrication
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Melt the margarine and pour into a bowl.
- Mix in the water and the beaten egg and stir well.
- Stir it in to the dry ingredients and continue to fold them in until fully incorporated.
- Heat the skillet or griddle and lubricate with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Pour batter to heated surface and make 5-inch rounds cooking on medium-high heat.
- Flip sides to cook both sides to golden brown
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
This pancake recipe without milk is for chocolate lovers!
Time: 25 minutes
- 14 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 12 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- Mix all dry ingredients from above list in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl and incorporate chocolate milk, vanilla extract, oil, and chocolate chips in to this liquid mixture.
- Mix liquid mixture with the dry ingredients.
- Heat the pan or skillet on medium heat and add butter, cooking spray or oil to lubricate the surface.
- Pour batter and swirl around the pan to make circles of 5" roughly. A Â¼ cup batter is recommended.
- Flip sides to brown both sides.
As quite evident, there are many variations of pancake recipes and hence, you can choose to make your pancakes according a one recipe of your preference or experiment with different recipes each time. Knowing how to make them without adding milk will surely be cookery secret that you will be proud to be privy to.
Videos for more milk free and gluten free pancake recipes:
Substitutes for Milk in Pancakes
- Beer. This is an excellent choice for your pancakes, if there is a lactose intolerant member in your family. Firstly, beer gives a different malty taste to the pancakes. Secondly, the carbonation in the beer causes it to become light and fluffy. The yeast in the beer also helps produce tasty, light pancakes.
- Warm Water. If you are adding warm water to the pancakes, you need to add vinegar and soda to your batter mix. This adds air bubbles to the batter resulting in fluffy, light pancakes. Note, do not add extremely hot water to your mixture. It has to be a little above lukewarm as hot water will create another texture in the flour.
- Margarine. Margarine prevents the absorption of other liquids into the batter resulting in gluten formation. Margarine also makes the pancakes soft and crunchy instead of chewy.
Various other products can be substituted for milk when making pancakes. Some of these substitutes for pancake recipe without milk are mentioned below.
- Almond milk
- Butter milk
- Coconut milk
- Chocolate milk
- Oat milk
- Rice milk
- Soy milk
- Fruit juice