You probably know about the many health benefits of garlic. Did you know that garlic for hair is very beneficial too, especially as a home remedy for hair loss? Nowadays that people tend to spend their time and a lot of money in various hair salons and various treatments for their hair loss problem, natural and homemade remedies such as garlic are a great option, very cheap at the same time. Garlic has not only the possibility to boost the hair growth, but it also stimulates the hair regrowth.
How Does Garlic Help in Hair Growth?
- Garlic, together with onions, scallions, and leeks is a vegetable belonging to the allium class. Garlic is mainly used while cooking dishes as a flavoring. However, garlic has many health benefits, including hair growth and hair regrowth promotion.
- Garlic is known to contain high levels of sulfur. Sulfur promotes hair growth as it is a vital component for building keratin. You probably know that keratin is the one that gives your hair their strength and helps them grow, your nails as well. If you regularly apply garlic for hair into your scalp than normal, you will notice that your hair will become stronger and more flexible.
- Garlic is also known for its anti-fungal properties. Dandruff is the most common fungal infection that affects the scalp. Applying garlic oil into the scalp on regular basis can help you deal with dandruff. Allicin, a component found in garlic is known to work against six different types of fungi.
- Garlic is rich in vitamins B1, B6 and C. It is known that vitamin B1 helps improve scalp circulation, while a deficiency of vitamin B6 is linked with hair loss. Vitamin C is known to boost the collagen in the hair, protecting it from breakage.
- Garlic is rich in minerals too, such as in calcium, iron, manganese, etc. Calcium provides a structural component in hair, iron, on the other hand, promotes hair growth, while manganese helps the human body utilize healthy nutrients very important for hair health.
- Garlic contains selenium as well, which improves the absorption of vitamin E from the body. Vitamin E deficiency is known to be linked with hair loss.
- Garlic is also recommended as it promotes the circulation of blood in the scalp. The more blood flows to your scalp, the healthier your hair will be as it will carry the necessary nutrients and oxygen to your hair roots.
- Alopecia areata is a common problem affecting men and women worldwide. It has been estimated that garlic oil when applied directly to the scalp on regular basis helps prevent hair loss and fastens the recovery due to alopecia areata.
How to Use Garlic for Hair Growth
Regardless if you have a fine hair that needs to get stronger and longer, or if you are dealing with hair loss, here are some homemade recipes.
Garlic Juice & Coconut Oil Recipe
- 1 tbsp. of garlic juice
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
Mix the garlic juice with coconut oil and apply this mixture into your scalp. Massage the scalp gently and let it do its work for about 20 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly with gentle shampoo.
Pure Garlic Oil Recipe
- 2 tbsp. of pure garlic oil
Warm up the garlic oil and massage your scalp with it. Let it do its work for about 20 minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly using a gentle shampoo. You can use pure garlic oil twice a week if you want your hair to be healthy, strong and long.
Mix with Shampoo and Conditioner
- 1 – 2 tbsp. of garlic oil
- Regular shampoo
You can simply add 1 – 2 tbsp. of garlic oil into the regular shampoo you normally use to wash your hair. Make sure to mix it well before using it so it becomes consistent and even.
Garlic and Honey Recipe
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp. of honey
- 1 -2 tsp. of water
Heat up the honey. Add the garlic cloves and mix it so it becomes even. Take the mixture out of the stove and let it cool down a little bit. Apply this mixture gently to your scalp by massaging it at the same time. Let it do its work for a while and then rinse your hair.
Homemade Garlic Balm Recipe
- 6 – 8 garlic cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 1 tbsp. of aloe vera
- 24 oz. of chamomile tea
Press the juice from the garlic cloves in order to get about a full tablespoon of garlic juice. Mix the garlic juice with the honey and refrigerate it. Brew the chamomile tea for about 30 minutes. Add the egg yolk to the mixture of garlic juice and honey. Finally, add the aloe vera. Rub this homemade garlic balm into your scalp and leave it to do its work for about 20 minutes. Rinse the hair thoroughly using a gentle shampoo. In the end, rinse the hair with chamomile tea.
Other ways to use garlic for hair include:
- Rub garlic on the area where you have lost your hair. Wait for about one hour and then massage the area with olive oil. Use a cap or a hood and go to sleep. Repeat this process regularly and you will notice that your hair will start regrowing.
- Mix the garlic with olive oil. For this purpose, the garlic pods should be kept in a bottle with olive oil for about a week. Apply this oil mixed with garlic to the scalp and sleep through the night by covering your hair with a cap or a hood. Wash the hair the next morning when you wake up.
- Apply the garlic directly to the hair and scalp. Crush the garlic and apply the juice directly. Let it sit for a couple of minutes before washing your hair.
When using garlic for hair, be careful not to get any garlic oil into the eyes. Also, don’t apply the mixture into a broken skin. Make sure to do a patch test before applying garlic oil mixtures for hair loss treatment.
In cases of a sudden hair loss, make sure to consult your healthcare provider as it could be a sign of a certain disease affecting your body which might require proper medical treatment.