Native to North America, poison ivy is a climbing vine and produces an oily chemical called urushiol. The chemical stays on the surface of its leaves and can cause allergic reaction when you touch it. You may experience itchiness, redness, and painful inflammation on your skin. Poison sumac and poison oak can also cause similar symptoms. But many people are concerned about whether it can be cured and it is contagious. Let's find out the answer.
First thing first, the discomfort caused by poison ivy is not contagious. Wondering why? Here comes the detail:
The rash you develop after being exposed to poison ivy is allergic contact dermatitis. You develop an allergic reaction when you touch the stem, leaves, berries, or roots of the plant. Touching contaminated objects may also lead to a reaction. For example, if you walk through poison ivy and then touch your shoes later, you may get some of urushiol on your hands and then on your body. This may trigger an allergic reaction. The chemical can stay on objects for years and cause a skin reaction whenever you touch the surface.
So the condition itself is not contagious because the blisters you develop do not contain urushiol, which is the reason why you develop an allergic reaction in the first place. It means you cannot get a poison ivy rash from someone who is already dealing with a rash. You have to touch the chemical directly to develop a reaction.
Now you have the answer to the question, "Is poison ivy contagious?" it is equally important to learn a bit about its incubation period. You may think you have not touched urushiol because you do not have any symptoms, but the reality is different. The incubation period for poison ivy is 5-21 days, so you may notice the rash appear several days after being exposed to poison ivy. Repeated exposure may make the rash appear within 12-48 hours of exposure.
The most common symptoms of the rash are small bumps on the skin, red streaks, itching and blisters that may leak fluid. Some people may develop a severe allergic reaction after being exposed to the poison ivy oil. They may experience trouble breathing with swelling of the mouth, face, genitals, and neck. The rash may take a week or more to show up the first time and last about 10-21 days. In severe cases, it may last up to 6 weeks.
You should call your doctor if you develop a severe allergic reaction or you have inhaled the smoke from a burning plant of poison ivy. Blisters with pus, swelling of the skin, and high fever are other complications requiring an immediate visit to your doctor. Besides, just go see your doctor if your rash does not get better in a few weeks.
Is poison ivy contagious? It is not. However, you will develop the rash when you get exposed to the oil present on the surface of poison ivy leaves. If it happens, you should take the following steps to comfort yourself.
Overall, the treatment option depends on the severity of your condition. The rash usually responds well to self-care methods and goes away within 2-3 weeks. If it persists, you should see your doctor who may give you an oral corticosteroid or a prescription antibiotic if you have an infection on the affected skin.
The negative answer to "Is poison ivy contagious?" does not make prevent this annoying condition any less important because it is quite irritating to deal with the rash caused by poison ivy. Here are some of the steps to take: